Monday, December 30, 2013

Jessica McHugh's Would You Rather

Bored with the same old fashioned author interviews you see all around the blogosphere? Well, TNBBC's newest series is a fun, new, literary spin on the ole Would You Rather game. Get to know the authors we love to read in ways no other interviewer has. I've asked them to pick sides against the same 20 odd bookish scenarios. And just to spice it up a bit, each author gets to ask their own Would You Rather question to the author who appears after them....


Jessica McHugh's
Would You Rather



Would you rather write an entire book with your feet or with your tongue?
As I have somewhat prehensile feet, it would be much easier to write a book with my feet. Therefore, I choose tongue. When it comes to writing, I dig the difficulty.

Would you rather have one giant bestseller or a long string of moderate sellers?
I’d prefer a long string of moderate sellers so the paparazzo won’t hound me. I don’t look great in candid pictures.

Would you rather be a well known author now or be considered a literary genius after you’re dead?
Now, please. I don’t need to afford beer when I’m dead.

Would you rather write a book without using conjunctions or have every sentence of your book begin with one?
Considering this reply would sound ludicrous starting with a conjunction, I’ll choose writing without them.

Would you rather have every word of your favorite novel tattooed on your skin or always playing as an audio in the background for the rest of your life?
I’d have the entirety of “The Phantom Tollbooth” tattooed on me without a second thought.

Would you rather write a book you truly believe in and have no one read it or write a crappy book that comprises everything you believe in and have it become an overnight success?
If I wrote a book I didn’t believe in, I’d burn it and go back to my high-paying, benefitted, science job.

Would you rather write a plot twist you hated or write a character you hated?
Plot twist. A character I hate isn’t even worth the ink to pen a good death—only a violent delete.

Would you rather use your skin as paper or your blood as ink?
Either way, I’d run out of raw materials pretty fast, but at least I’d still be alive after using my skin as paper.

Would you rather become a character in your novel or have your characters escape the page and reenact the novel in real life?
Yipes, that depends on the novel. Honestly, I don’t think I’d like to be any of my characters because most of them are put through wringers I wouldn’t want to squish me.

Would you rather write without using punctuation and capitalization or without using words that contained the letter E?
I could live without capitalization, but I’d go mad without punctuation, so I think I’d rather sacrifice E-lettered words.

Would you rather have schools teach your book or ban your book?
Ban it. It’ll sell more copies.

Would you rather be forced to listen to Ayn Rand bloviate for an hour or be hit on by an angry Dylan Thomas?
As soon as I saw “Ayn Rand,” I knew I wouldn’t choose that option. Give me your best shot, Dylan.

Would you rather be reduced to speaking only in haiku or be capable of only writing in haiku?
Speaking in haiku. Maybe it would help me shut up more often.

Would you rather be stuck on an island with only the 50 Shades Series or a series in a language you couldn’t read?
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’d probably choose Fifty Shades, just for comic value.

Would you rather critics rip your book apart publicly or never talk about it at all?
Rip my book apart. Be my guest. There’s no such thing as bad press.

Would you rather have everything you think automatically appear on your Twitter feed or have a voice in your head narrate your every move?
Voice in my head.

Would you rather give up your computer or pens and paper?
I’d give up my computer in a second over pens/paper. It would cut out 8000 internet distractions.

Would you rather write an entire novel standing on your tippy-toes or laying down flat on your back?
Laying down. I recently hurt my back and had to do just that. Astronaut pens make it a piece of pineapple upside-down cake.

Would you rather read naked in front of a packed room or have no one show up to your reading?
Am I standing behind a podium? In that case, I’m fine being naked. Otherwise…eh, I’d still choose naked.

Would you rather read a book that is written poorly but has an excellent story, or read one with weak content but is written well? 

Excellent story, written poorly. In the other case, I’d just watch a plotless action movie.


And here is Jessica's response to the question Pete Anderson asked her last week:

Would you rather be Holden Caulfield or Scout Finch? 
I think I'd rather be Scout Finch, just because I'd be happier as a scrappy kid than a grumpy teenager.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jessica helps us wrap up the Would You Rather series!
It's been great fun and I want to thank all of the authors who participated!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jessica McHugh is an author of speculative fiction spanning the genre from horror and alternate history to young adult. A member of the Horror Writers Association and a 2013 Pulp Ark nominee, she has devoted herself to novels, short stories, poetry, and playwriting. Jessica has had thirteen books published in five years, including her bestseller, "Rabbits in the Garden,"  and the gritty coming-of-age thriller, "PINS." 2014 will see the release of three more novels, including the start to her edgy YA series "The Darla Decker Diaries." More info on her speculations and publications can be found at JessicaMcHughBooks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment