Thursday, September 30, 2010

Indie Spotlight: Two Dollar Radio


Have you met The Two Dollar Radio Movement yet? No??
May I be the first to introduce you? Wonderful! Ok. Here we go. (A-hem)....

Two Dollar Radio, meet TNBBC!
TNBBC, meet Two Dollar Radio!

My own introduction to TDR was a happy accident. I was poking around on Goodreads and random blogs searching for some newer unknown novels, and I stumbled across their website. (For the life of me, I cannot recall who exactly linked me there - oh the frustrations of a too-young-to-be-senile mind!)

The books they were showcasing on their site were so quirky and odd - right up my alley! -and I emailed them for a copy of one or two in the hopes that I could review them. Eric Obenauf, the Editor in Chief and Publisher, shipped me off two novels: The People Who Watched Her Pass By and Termite Parade - which I should be starting sometime in late October.

Here's a little background:

Brian Obenauf, Eliza Jane Wood, and Eric Obenauf created Two Dollar Radio Movement in early 2005 after the group read "The Business of Books by Andre Schiffrin, which inspired (them) to start (thier) own new idealistic book publishing company, following the footprints left by the likes of John Martin and Barney Rosset".

The name came from an overly rowdy old timer at a bar, who, when he realized he was putting people off, said “Don’t mind me, I make more noise than a $2 radio.

They characterize the books they publish "as bold literary fiction: subversive, original, and highly creative".

And check this out - Two Dollar Radio Movement is giving away a free lifetime subscription to any hardcore fan willing to brand themselves with their tattoo. If you send them a photo of the tattoo while it's in progress, and once it's completely healed, you will receive a copy of every book TDR has ever or WILL ever publish!

How cool is that? And it's a cute little tattoo isn't it?

If that's not a great way to spread the word about an Indie Publisher, I don't know what is!

Stop by their website, take a look through their catalogue and you never know, you might just find yourself a Two Dollar Radio Movement fan!

*text in parentheses and italics were quoted from the Two Dollar Radio Movement Bio page*

3 comments:

  1. Wow... Tattoo huh, that's pretty intense! I'll look into these books, but I don't think I'd want to brand them onto my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a tattoo is pretty hardcore, and I won't be first in line to print it on my body just yet. But I definitely just spent over an hour browsing the website. Sounds like a great movement, and the baby onesies are adorable! Can't wait to hear what you think about the books you review. Thanks for introducing us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ladies, Thanks for taking a peek. I am really impressed with the way these guys just one day decided to up and start a publishing company (though it's fairly new, they have quite an amazing and impressive collection)... !!

    Yeah, a tattoo is pretty permanent, but you never know what someone would do to guarantee free books for life :)

    ReplyDelete